Friday 11 October 2013

Guest Author Interview - Gly Gardener

Another week draws to an end (I like to tell myself that but I'll still be in the office tomorrow and Sunday!), but no matter what the weekend plans are we have a new guest author interview to enjoy. In today's interview I meet Gly Gardener:



Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
Glyn Gardner. I’m currently an Emergency Room Nurse

What first inspired you to start writing?
I read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, and it kind of got the gears turning about what a zombie apocalypse would look like if it started in my neighborhood. I just felt the need to write it down. Next thing I know I’m 12,000 words or so into it, and figured I had something. So, I just kept going. Plus, about that time my wife deployed to the Middle East and it was therapeutic. If I had a bad day, I could just kill a character or two and I’d feel better.

And why zombies?
I have always loved zombie, apocalypse, and plague type movies. Max Brooks lays out the rules for zombies in The Zombie Survival Guide. As a nurse, and therefore grounded in science, I didn’t agree with all of his rules, but enough to inspire me to write something with my own rules.

Which author do you most admire and why?
Howard Wasdin. He wrote a book called SEAL Team 6: Memoirs of an Elite Navy Sniper. Guy was a a Navy SEAL, wounded during the battle of Mogadishu, a real HERO!

Where is your ideal writing spot?
My house has a man cave in it; a place where me and the boys can play video games, and watch football. I also have a small computer desk that I use. It’s quiet when they’re at school. Although I realized I need a better desk, it’s still my favorite place to write.

What was the last book you read?
Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway, by Jonathan Parshall. Oh, I guess I should have mentioned I’m a HUGE military history buff. If there were soldiers lined up across from each other throwing rocks, shooting arrows, or launching artillery rounds at each other; I want to read about it.

What is the best piece of writing advice you've received?
Don’t give up. If you have a story to tell, and you write it, don’t give up.

What are you working on at the moment?
Zed, the sequel to APEX. Right now I’m about 10,000 words into it. I’ve had to stop for a while in order to get APEX published, and do some of the marketing leg work. But, in the next few weeks I’m going to jump back into it.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more?
APEX is a non-stop zombie thriller written to compliment such titles as The Walking Dead, and the Crazies. APEX was inspired by such greats as George Romero and Max Brooks.

 Mike and Jen live in a quiet Louisiana community. Quiet, that is, until the dead begin roaming the streets; devouring everything in sight. The couple is forced to barricade their home and await help. Soon the National Guard is sent in the restore order. SSgt Brown and his troopers are the sole survivors of the government’s first response to the Zombie Invasion. Join them as they struggle to survive in this new environment, an environment where Man has been replaced by a new APEX predator. This predator never sleeps, doesn’t feel pain, hunts in packs, and doesn’t ever quit.

Who will survive in this new world, and who will succumb to the ever-growing hoard of undead?
You like it on facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/#%21/ApexMikeandJen

or buy in at:

http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000666915/APEX.aspx

If all else fails, look to bookfinder4u.com:
http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSearch.aspx?isbn=1481765760&mode=direct

APEX is available from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment