Sunday 30 March 2014

Drabble Classics - The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

Gustave Doré's illustration of the poem's conclusion.

Edgar Allan Poe is one of the great writers of horror, so much so that his writing remains essential reading and not just in a sense of studying the classics, but for fans of the genre as well. Picking one of his pieces wasn't difficult, writing as a drabble was!

The Raven is probably one of Poe's most famous works and also one of my favourite poems, however my talent as a poet is rather limited. I did want to convey the feeling of the poem as well as its narrative in the drabble and that made writing this the hardest drabble I've written so far. I think I managed it and I hope you agree.

If you haven't read the rest of my drabble classics series then you can find them here:

http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/p/drabble-classics.html

For a daily drabble as well as the latest Kindle deals and releases sign up for the Indie Book Bargains newsletter here:

http://www.indie-book-bargains.co.uk

The Raven

While reading forgotten lore to escape the loss of Lenore I heard a rap at my door. Another at the window and I admitted the raven and upon Pallas’s bust it perched.

To my surprise the bird spoke, but knew only one word. I’m certain that it’ll desert me as others had, it said ‘nevermore’.

I reasoned that I could forget Lenore, the raven stated ‘nevermore’.

So I asked whether I’ll see her again and received the same infernal reply. I cursed it back to Hell, but it’s my soul trapped in the raven’s shadow and will be lifted nevermore.

3 comments:

  1. I like to consider myself an author and yet I've never read anything by Poe. I think, perhaps it's time I did. Any suggestions as to my first would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're up for some poetry then start with The Raven.

      Delete